Bell Ringing at Cobham Church
We have six bells at Cobham. A major restoration project was undertaken in 1994 thanks to the Friends of Cobham Church when one bell was recast and the bells were tuned and re-hung in a new metal frame with modern fittings.
The bells bear the following inscriptions:-
1. "Gillett and Johnson Founders 1907 Arthur Hastings Berger Vicar, Darnley, W. Wood, Churchwardens". It was given by the 8th Earl or Darnley to mark the 21st birthday of his son Esme Ivo, Lord Clifton.
2. "Joseph Hatch made me 1632".
3. "Restored by the Friends of Cobham Church Chairman Elizabeth Holland recast by Whitechapel 1994" and it also bears a copy of the inscription on the bell it replaced. "Thomas Mears late Lester Pack and Chapman of London fecit Messrs Huggins and Wells churchwardens 1790".
4. Joseph Hatch me Fecit 1623.
5. Joseph Hatch me Fecit TT WI CW 1632.
6. Joseph Hatch me Fecit WH 1632.
We ring regularly for Sunday Service between 10am and 10.30am. There is usually no service on the 3rd Sunday and so no ringing then.
Practice night is Wednesday between 7.30pm and 9.00pm. We welcome visiting ringers but it is advisable to confirm before attending as we are often at another tower on the third Wednesday of the month.
We also welcome new recruits and if you would like to visit the tower to see us ringing and perhaps have a taster session, please contact the tower captain, Peter (01474 814488).